News & Events > We are recruiting!
We are recruiting!
August 30, 2019
Saraband is an award-winning independent publisher of narrative non-fiction and a range of fiction titles. We are members of the Northern Fiction Alliance, Publishing Scotland and the Independent Publishers Guild, dedicated to publishing excellence and to diversity and inclusion – including regional diversity. Our recent titles have won or been shortlisted for prestigious awards including the Man Booker Prize, Rathbones Folio Prize, Wainwright Golden Beer Prize, Saltire Society (various awards), Lakeland Awards and the Author’s Club Best First Novel Award, as well as several international awards. We have an opportunity for a dynamic, enthusiastic, creative and professional candidate to join our small, committed team.
We are seeking a full-time Marketing and Editorial Assistant with:
- Outstanding English language and communication skills, written and verbal
- A flair for writing copy that is creative, persuasive and accurate
- An eagle eye for detail
- Experience of creating and managing social media content and channels in a relevant context
- Experience of, or aptitude and willingness to learn, marketing and editorial publishing skills
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills and an ability to prioritise
- A positive attitude and a willingness to undertake a variety of tasks to support colleagues
- The ability to liaise in a genuine, friendly, respectful and timely manner with authors, freelancers, partner organisations and people of a wide range of backgrounds and characteristics
- A proven interest in the editorial areas we publish in, and a love of books and reading
The main responsibilities will include:
- Helping to design and deliver original, compelling marketing and publicity campaigns
- Drafting and/or writing copy for marketing and promotional materials
- Liaising with authors, freelancers, team members and agents across all current titles
- Creating new content (including multimedia) for website, newsletters and social media
- Liaising with book festivals, libraries and bookshops and organising live book events
- Submissions for book awards, and admin support for awards, events and festivals
- Updating our website and database of titles and authors
- Proofreading and checking corrections, working with the Production Coordinator
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of degree-level education and be proficient in Word and Excel, and preferably some experience of Indesign and Photoshop, in addition to the experience outlined.
The job is a full-time position, based in our Salford Quays office, on a one-year contract with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent, and with promotion prospects. Salary dependent on experience, but anticipated within the range of £18,000 to £20,000 pa.
To apply, please email your CV (no more than two pages of A4) to email@example.com with a covering email explaining why you believe you’re an excellent candidate for this position. Please include your current salary and notice period. The closing date to apply is 12th September, 2019. Interviews will be held during the week beginning 23rd September.